DOWNSPOUT DRAIN SERVICES IN COLUMBUS, OH
One of the most common problems facing homeowners today is having adequate drainage for their downspout drains and sump pump discharge lines. Time and time again, when it rains, homeowners discover pools of water in their yards and their homes because underground drain lines fail to perform either from blockages or poor installation.
Luckily, The Basement Doctor Columbus offers effective downspout drain repair services. Our team of professionals will ensure your home has an effective drainage system in place so that when it rains, water flows away from your house and not in it.
You don’t have to tolerate water in your basement. Contact our waterproofing team at (877) 264-9050 today for a FREE consultation.
WHAT IS A DOWNSPOUT DRAIN & SUMP PUMP DISCHARGE LINE?
Essentially, a downspout drain line acts as a drain for your gutters. In comparison, a sump pump discharge line acts as a drain for your sump pump. One drains water from your roof, and the other drains water from your foundation. What usually ties these two lines together is that they are connected underground and commonly flow to a storm sewer, common drain line, the street through a hole in the curb, or a dry well (an underground hole filled with gravel).
Unfortunately, it is pretty common to discover these lines buried and terminating without tying into anything. In many cases, the lines are not given an adequate downhill grade to allow for proper drainage. All of this is caused by the builder cutting corners using cheap and fast laborers that install thin wall pipes that are never glued or graded.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAINTAIN YOUR DOWNSPOUT AND SUMP PUMP DISCHARGE LINES
- Your home’s downspout & sump pump discharge lines are an essential part of your drainage system. With regular inspections, you can ensure that these lines function properly when rain and storms hit your area.
- Downspouts & sump pump discharge lines redirect the water away from your foundation walls and into a designated pipe or outlet at the street, and cleaning your downspouts will help you avoid recurring dampness, leaks, and foundation issues.
- Downspouts play a vital role in preventing water from damaging your home’s foundation. Not only does it potentially and eventually cause water seepage in the basement/crawlspace, but it can also cause structural damage due to water saturating the expansive clay soils.
- Excessive water next to the foundation for an extended period can erode the concrete walls.
HOW FREQUENTLY SHOULD THEY BE INSPECTED, AND WHAT CAN BE DONE?
At The Basement Doctor Columbus, we recommend that you have your downspout and sump pump discharge lines inspected and serviced at least once a year. If you have trees on your property, we recommend more frequent inspections because tree roots can penetrate the line.
If a rupture or blockage is detected, we can clear the line, repair the damaged section or replace the entire line for a more permanent solution.
We also offer additional services for sump pump discharge line protection.
WHEN SHOULD I CALL?
When the drain line for a downspout or sump pump has a blockage or break, the signs make themselves known almost immediately after a storm. Look for signs like:
- Gutters are overflowing with water
- The underground lines are overflowing where the downspout drop dumps into the underground line
- Water pooling around the underground lines or in the yard
- Discoloration on your foundation walls, especially in the corners
- Water never seems to discharge through the pipe where it exits the curb
- The sump pump is running constantly
When you see these signs, it’s important to act on them immediately. Prolonged water exposure to your foundation can lead to costly repairs down the road. Contact The Basement Doctor Columbus today at (877) 264-9050 or fill out the form below to schedule a FREE consultation. Since 1987, our professionals have provided homeowners in Columbus, Ohio, with lasting solutions that keep their homes safe and dry.